Adekunle Gold Biography & Net Worth
|Real Name:||Adekunle Kosoko|
|Also Known As||Adekunle Gold|
|Net Worth||N400 million|
|Date of Birth:||January 28, 1987|
|State of Origin||Lagos State|
|Birth Place||Lagos State|
Adekunle Kosoko (born January 28, 1987), known professionally as Adekunle Gold, is a Nigerian highlife singer, songwriter and graphic designer. He is the nephew of legendary Nollywood actor, Jide Kosoko. He gained widespread attention after releasing the 2015 hit single “Sade”, a highlife cover of One Direction’s “Story of My Life”.
In 2015, he signed a record deal with YBNL Nation and released his debut studio album Gold, which debuted at number 7 on the Billboard World Albums chart. Gold was preceded by the release of three singles: “Sade”, “Orente” and “Pick Up”. Adekunle Gold revealed to Nigerian Entertainment Today that prior to signing with YBNL, he designed the label’s official logo and completed other designs for Lil Kesh, Viktoh and Olamide.
Adekunle Kosoko was born into the Kosoko royal family of Lagos State, Nigeria. He holds a Higher National Diploma in Arts and Design from Lagos State Polytechnic.
He is a nephew of legendary Nollywood actor, Jide Kosoko who is also a prince. Though his parents were Muslim, his father allowed him and his three sisters to explore other religions if they liked and that was how he found himself in a church’s choir. Sadly, Adekunle lost his youngest sister, Busayo, to heart complications in 2011. In an interview, he revealed that his late sister was the only one who really understood him. He fondly called her his twin even though they were not.
2010–2014: Career beginnings
While growing up, Adekunle developed an interest in music while listening to songs by King Sunny Ade and Ebenezer Obey. He became a member of his church’s junior choir during his teenage years and went on to write his first song at the age of 15. In 2014, Adekunle went solo after disbanding from a music group he formed with a friend while in school. He was dubbed the “King of Photoshop” after posting an edited photoshop image of him hugging Tiwa Savage on social media platforms. On 19 December 2014, he released “Sade”, a cover of One Direction’s “Story of My Life”. The song rose to critical acclaim and was nominated for Best Alternative Song at The Headies 2015.
After the release of “Sade”, Adekunle released his first official single titled “Orente” through YBNL Nation after signing a music contract with the record label on March 5, 2015. He was nominated in the Most Promising Act of the Year category at the 2015 City People Entertainment Awards. On 18 July 2016, Adekunle Gold revealed the cover and tracklist of his debut studio album titled Gold. The album is a 16-track project, with musical production from Pheelz, Masterkraft, B Banks, Sleekamo, Oscar and Seyikeyz. It was released on 25 July, three days before the original scheduled date of release. Upon its release, it peaked at #7 on the Billboard World Album Chart for the week of 13 August 2016. Moreover, it was critically reviewed by contemporary music critics. Following his departure from YBNL Nation due to the expiry of his contract, Adekunle Gold unveiled his band “The 79th Element” in reference to the atomic number of gold. On the 15th of January, 2018, Unity Bank unveiled Adekunle Gold as their brand ambassador.
Adekunle Gold married popular singer, Simi in a private ceremony in January 2019. Prior to their marriage, Adekunle Gold revealed in an interview that they dated for five years before getting married.
Adekunle Gold Net Worth
Adekunle Kosoko, professionally known as Adekunle Gold is a Nigerian highlife singer, songwriter and graphic designer with an estimated net worth of N400 million
23 Fun-facts about Adekunle Gold
1. Adekunle Gold was born as Adekunle Kosoko.
2. He is a nephew of veteran actor, Jide Kosoko.
3. He is an origin of Lagos state and a prince from the famous Kosoko royal house of Lagos.
4. He is the only son of his parent.
5. Adekunle Gold wrote his first song at the age of 15 and started singing in a church junior choir.
6. He is a graduate of Lagos State Polytechnic where he studied Graphics.
7. Adekunle added Gold to his name after a session in church with the inspiration coming from an excerpt of the pastor’s preaching.
8. He was a member of a boy band called The Bridge and they released the following songs: “No Sleeping on a Bicycle”, “Norm Breaker” featuring Skales and “All of me” (John Legend cover).
9. In 2013, he left ‘The Bridge’ to debut as a solo act.
10. His first song as a solo artist was “Let It Stop,” a song about peace for the nation.
11. In 2014, he released his version of One Direction’s ‘Story Of My Life”, which he titled ‘SADE’. This song enjoyed massive airplay and got him signed to YBNL.
12. Adekunle Gold is also a sculptor, painter, and graphics designer.
13. Prior to Adekunle’s signing to YBNL records, he was their graphic designer, the brain behind the label’s official logo.
14. Before his entry into the mainstream music industry, Adekunle Gold went viral after photoshopping himself into photos of popular celebs which earned him the moniker, ‘King of Photoshop’.
15. The single, Sade, won the Best Alternative Song award at the 2015 Headies awards ceremony.
16. Although his real age is unknown, Adekunle Gold is less than 30 years.
17. His follow-up single, ‘Orente’ like his debut was inspired by a true life experience.
18. Gold is reportedly in a relationship with ‘Jamb Question’ singer, Simi. However, none of the singers has confirmed the rumour and they rarely step out in public together.
19. Simi actually helped Adekunle Gold define his style and helped named his genre, ‘Urban Highlife’.
20. Simi mixed and arranged Adekunle Gold’s three singles, ‘Sade’, ‘Orente’ and ‘Pick Up’.
21. He won the award for ‘Revelation of the Year’ at the 2015 edition of AFRIMA.
22. Adekunle Gold made his movie debut on Kunle Afolayan’s thriller, ‘The CEO’.
23. The singer is also called YBNL Toaster by fans and some colleagues.