AdSense 101: What is it & How to Make Money from it
Have you found yourself on the Internet with ads while reading an article in a digital newspaper, a blog or while watching a video on YouTube? If you’ve ever wondered who is responsible for them, Google AdSense is most likely the answer.
If you still do not know it, I am telling you that this is one of the methods or one of the most popular methods by bloggers, free Apps, newspapers and digital magazines or Youtubers to make money online in a recurring way.
But first of all, in this guide, we will see what Google AdSense is and how it works exactly. In addition, then we will help you discover how to start using it step by step, creating your own account to monetize your digital visibility.
What is Google AdSense?
AdSense is a simple and free way to earn income by placing ads on your website. It is an advertising service developed by Google with the aim of offering the possibility of making money with your website, through a CPC program (cost per click) that includes advertising content from potential advertisers within your website. These ads are inserted into websites through HTML codes and appear according to the type of content and users according to Google criteria, who is the one who orders and manages these contents.
In fact, the great search engine defines it as a simple and free method that any website editor can earn income by publishing Google ads segmented in its contents.
Signing up on the aforementioned platform is simpler than you can imagine.
It is only necessary to have a Gmail account, Google email, a blog or own website with 100% original content, a phone number and a physical address.
In addition, you must be at least 18 years old, since we are talking about a digital business with which to generate revenue with advertising.
And as you can guess, those places where violence is incited or that have explicit sexual content are totally prohibited. Recently, AdSense made it known that rather than have blogs with prohibited contents violated and flagged, it will not serve ads to those contents on your blogs.
Taking into account these premises, we have prepared you with a complete and great step-by-step guide in which you will solve all your doubts about Google AdSense and everything you need to know to get your website monetized.
Mega-Guide of «Google Adsense» as a method of monetizing blogs and websites
Once you know exactly what we are talking about in this post, and what is the purpose of this great search engine tool, let me guide you through this article, where you will know how to create an account in it.
But first of all, I want to clarify what are the principles on which it is based and its benefits, since if you are here it is because you are interested in monetizing your digital project.
What is it AdSense & how does it work?
If you are thinking about how to advertise your company on the Internet, it is likely that you have also heard of Google Ads, the search pay-per-click advertising platform.
This is another App of the company that is directly related to it since, in effect, AdSense would not exist without Google Ads.
Therefore, to explain the utilities and how this digital tool owned by Google works, I will go to the main differences between them.
Clarified this, I have to say that the main difference between the two platforms is in “ who uses it ” and “ for what ”.
- Google Ads (ex-Adwords): used by advertisers who want to promote their products or services, to create advertising content, which can appear both on Google sites (including YouTube) and on the pages and applications of third parties that have signed up for the program.
- AdSense, on the other hand, is used by web page owners or content creators who want to monetize their sites, to add advertising spaces that will display the content that advertisers have created through Google Ads and charge for it.
It is, therefore, a system in which three actors participate:
- The advertisers
- Owners of websites, blogs, mobile Apps or YouTube channels.
Google AdSense simply acts as an intermediary, taking a commission for it; Advertisers pay Google AdSense to advertise on the sites of their partners and it pays the owners of the sites (their partners) to display them.
In this way, it distributes the advertising content automatically, based on the criteria defined by the advertisers and owners of the websites (and also their own criteria).
Regarding these criteria, advertisers can indicate to Google AdSense on what type of websites they want their information or banners to be displayed (either according to the theme of the content, the interests of the visitors or the type of visitors they receive).
You can even select specific sites manually through Ads. Similarly, owners of Web domains that host sponsored content can also tell you what type of advertising content, or even specific advertisers, want to block or exclude from your site.
Therefore, when talking about Google advertising, we mean segmented advertisements, that is, directed to specific sites or people. This company takes these criteria into account, in addition to what advertisers are willing to pay along with the quality of the content.
It is with all this that an auction is held to decide what it will show on each site. It wasn’t that hard, right?
How, when and how much does Google AdSense pay?
As we said, advertisers pay the Silicon Valley giant and it pays the owners of the websites, blogs or YouTube channels that host the ads.
But how does it do it?
Well, very simple: depending on the clicks that users make on the ads or the impressions that have been generated, that is, the times that one has been shown on a site.
The payment system (CPC or impressions) is chosen by the advertiser when he creates his banners and then establishes a bid, or what is the same, what he is willing to pay for a click or per 1000 impressions.
As indicated in the support center and in the terms of the Partners program:
Owners of websites registered with AdSense receive 68% of the revenue and Google keeps the remaining 32%. In the case of wanting to monetize a YouTube channel, the owner receives 55% of the income.
How much I can earn using Google Adsense: dairy products (Example 1)
Imagine that you are the owner of a recipe blog and you have added an advertising space using this advertising method, in which content related to your page is displayed.
A brand of dairy products has created a banner to advertise its latest product and has established that the banner should be displayed on websites whose main theme is the kitchen.
In addition, the brand has determined that it is willing to pay 0.50 euros for each click that your ad receives.
If AdSense serves this ad to your blog and any of your visitors click on it, you would take 68% of this click, that is, 68% of 0.50 euros, which would be exactly 34 cents of euro.
Not everyone has the same price, therefore, your income may vary from one day to another according to the budgets of the advertisers, the number of visitors who visit your site and click on the ads and the type of content in which the visitors click.
To get a clearer idea of how much you can earn per month with AdSense, let’s look at real data.
It is about researching to find real studies and data on the cost and click-through rate that Display ads (banners) or video ads usually receive, which can be, by industry, to best suit your case.
How much I can earn with Adsense: digital magazine (Example 2)
Let’s set another example. Now imagine that you are the owner of an American online magazine about cars and receive about 100,000 monthly visits on your website.
Since the most likely is that in your advertising spaces appear ads of car brands, we can take into account the CTR (click rate) and the average CPC (cost per click) that have the contents of the automotive industry.
If we rely on a WordStream study in which the CTRs and CPCs were analyzed by the banner industry of Ads in the United States during the past year, we can see that the average CTR that the Display network usually receives – the network which comprises more than 2 million sites enrolled in the AdSense program and also Youtubers– for the automotive industry, is 0.46%.
On the other hand, we must bear in mind that 68% of the profits correspond to us and that the average CPC of the display ads of this industry would remain at $0.58.
Time to make numbers!
If of the 100,000 monthly visits that your magazine/news blog receives, an average of 0.46% ends in click , it means that those that appear on your website will get about 460 clicks per month.
Given that each click costs an average of $ 0.58, you could earn approximately $266.8 per month with Google AdSense.
In general, the more visits your website or videos receive, the more likely people will be to click on the banners and, therefore, to earn more with this platform.
In a similar way, the more advertising spaces you add on your site, the more likely you are to get clicks, but if you add too many, you could deteriorate the user experience and cause the opposite effect, since visitors could bother and leave your site.
That is why it is said that the right balance must be found.
Even so, there are many factors that influence the process and any estimate would be subject to variations.
Is it worth using Google AdSense?
If you have not yet decided to use it to monetize your content, we hope this section gives you a clearer idea.
Here we tell you what are the main advantages and disadvantages of Google AdSense, so you can assess whether it is for you.
Advantages of AdSense
- The service is free: there is no fee to register. You just have to register and add advertising spaces on your site to show the ads.
- It is easy to use: its interface is intuitive and the process to incorporate them is relatively simple. In addition, you can publish them on different websites from a single account.
- Google does it all for you: there is no need to go looking for advertisers or to promote your advertising spaces. The search engine does it automatically through its auction system so that your ads will show the advertisers who are willing to pay more and those that offer the best user experience among those participating in the auction.
- You can block ads or advertisers: since it is an automatic system, Google is free to publish any type of content on your website. However, there are options to put a brake on it. If there is any type of ad you don’t want to appear, you can choose the category to avoid – vehicles, fashion, religion, politics, etc. – block the URLs of specific advertisers or even review them individually and choose those that are published and those that are not through the blocking controls page in your account.
- Wide variety of formats and customization options: When incorporating advertising spaces on your website, you can choose from a wide variety of sizes and formats, as well as customize their visual appearance to fit the color scheme of your site.
- You get paid monthly: As long as you accumulate a minimum of € 100 per month in earnings, you will be paid monthly by direct deposit.
Disadvantages of AdSense
- Some might be annoying for your visitors: According to a survey carried out by HubSpot, 64% of users believe that ads, today, are intrusive or annoying. If you add too many advertising spaces on your site, your traffic could be negatively affected and, therefore, also the ability of your site to generate revenue.
- When you break the rules, you are out: Program policies are strict. If you do not comply, the search engine can close your account in an instant and is not very tolerant of those users who have violated its rules.
- You will not get rich overnight: As you have seen in the previous section, there are many factors that influence the result and it is necessary that your website generates a lot of traffic to obtain a noticeable amount of income. Getting income with AdSense requires effort, web optimization, dedication and analysis – sometimes you need to try several options and formats until you find the combination that works.
- What is published may not fit your ideas or values: Although it is possible to apply a filter to block certain types of ads, there are limitations. The machine is not perfect.
- You earn money but you also lose users: Keep in mind that every time a user clicks on one of them that are displayed on your website, even if you earn money, this user will leave your page to visit the advertiser’s.
Another important issue:
Keep in mind that you need to have a lot of traffic, as you discover throughout this guide. If you don’t have a lot of views on your content, your earnings won’t be very interesting.
In general, and depending on the subject and the sector, so that the topic is sufficiently profitable, it is recommended to first try to have more than 40 or 50 thousand visits before implementing this monetization system so that it is more profitable.
How to create an AdSense account?
Whichever platform you use, your own website, a blogging platform or a YouTube channel, to convert your hobby into money with this advertising service, the first step is to create an account.
To do this, you must follow these steps:
1. Visit the Google AdSense Website
Go to the service page (from here) and sign up, filling in the form fields.
Once you have created your AdSense account and accepted the program policies (remember that your website or blog must include original content and comply with the policies so that it can be monetized), you must activate it.
2. Account activation
To do this, you have to log in to it and add your name, postal address, telephone number and payment information.
From there, they will receive your request to create an account and will ask you to link your website or YouTube channel with it. Note that your website must be content-only, and unique website. You will not get accepted if you plagiarize.
In the following sections, I will share with you what steps you should follow to configure the spaces in which ads will be shown depending on whether you want to monetize a website, a blog or a video channel, since it does not work exactly the same in all cases.
How to get monetize a blog in WordPress or a website with AdSense?
If you have your own website or a blog in WordPress (or any other CMS) and you want to monetize it, in order to activate your account and show ads on your site you must link this tool with your digital platform.
Therefore, now let’s see how to link your site with your AdSense account and the step-by-step necessary to integrate these ads into your content.
1. Add your domain
To do this, click on the “Websites” section of the left side menu, within your account, and then click on the “Add website” button .
On the next screen, you will have to add the URL of the site you want to monetize and you will see that it gives you a snippet of HTML code.
To link the platform with your website, you will have to copy this code snippet and paste it between the <head> </head>tags of your site’s HTML code.
If you use WordPress and you don’t feel comfortable editing the HTML code of your page, you can also use a plugin like “Header Footer Code Manager” to be able to add the code snippet in a simple way from the admin panel of this CMS.
Once you have added the code, check the box in your account and click “Done.”
They will soon contact you via email to let you know if the website has been linked correctly. Note that chances of your website getting approved depends on a lot of factors on your website. We will discuss this later.
3. Choose the types of ads to show
When the connection has been made and you already have your website linked to this advertising platform, it is time to choose the types of blocks that will be displayed on your site.
To do this, click on the “Ads” section in the left side menu and then “Ad units”.
On the screen that appears, you’ll find a button to add a new ad unit.
If you click on it, you will see that 3 options appear to choose the type of ads you want to show:
- First of all, text and display ads: the banners that are usually placed in the header, the sides or the footer of the page, depending on the design of your website and your preferences)
- Those of the In-Feed type (those that are usually shown between the lists or previous visualizations of recommended articles).
- The ” InArticle ” (which are integrated between the paragraphs of your articles or pages).
Once you have chosen the type of ad you wish to display on your website or blog – in this case, we have chosen “Text and display ads” – it takes us to its configuration screen.
Here you will be asked to name the ad unit and choose a size and dimensions. It is always recommended to leave your ‘Ad size’ as responsive, except in cases whereby you want a specific ad size, for example, the sidebar 250X250, 320X250, etc.
Once defined, click on “Save and get code” and, again, it will provide you with a code snippet, which you must copy and paste right where you want the ad to appear, within the HTML code of your site.
Again, if you use the WordPress platform, you can use plugins to fit them more conveniently and quickly in your articles and pages in general.
Among my favorites is “Ad Inserter”, to do it in a simpler way from the WordPress panel itself, without having to edit the code directly. Ready!
5. Block advertisers (optional)
In case you want to block certain categories of ads or specific advertisers, you can go to the “Blocking controls” and “All websites” section, in the left side menu, and simply select the type of content you want to block through of the different options offered. You should be careful not to block too many as doing so would mean lesser competition and lower bids for ad spaces on your website. To a layman; your earning might not be so great in the end.
Steps to monetize YouTube videos with AdSense
If you already know what YouTube is and how it works, I will share with you that in the case of the well-known video platform, the configuration is simpler, but there are some requirements that your channel must meet before you can start earning revenue.
According to the description of the YouTube Partner Program, you must have a minimum of 1,000 subscribers and a total of 4,000 hours of public viewing accumulated.
The first thing to keep in mind is that you must create your own YouTube channel, in order to make money with this advertising platform.
If your channel still does not meet these requirements, you will not be able to get money through your videos. However, you can leave your account set up and linked so that, at the moment they are fulfilled, monetization is activated.
Keep in mind that Google will only accept your monetization request if you have all the rights to everything that appears in your videos, both images and graphics and the music you use.
If you use royalty-free music, you must provide links to the song in the video description with the type of license that applies.
1. Enter your channel and go to “Creator Studio”
To activate the monetization of your channel, you must go to “ Creator Studio ” and click on “Channel” in the left side menu. There you will see an option to activate monetization.
2. Accept their policies
After clicking on “Activate”, you just have to follow the steps indicated by the platform itself, accepting its policies and linking the AdSense account you have created.
In this case, the linking is automatic and it is not necessary to insert HTML code.
3. Choose the type of ads to show
Once the channel has been linked to your AdSense account, the next step is to choose the monetization preferences, that is, indicate what type of ads you want to show on your videos:
- Display: banners that appear outside the video, on the right side.
- Overlay: floating horizontal banner that appears on your videos at the bottom.
- Sponsored cards: they appear on your video, to show products related to your content.
- Jutable video: Those that play before, during or after your video plays.
In case you want to block certain categories of ads or specific advertisers, you must do so from your advertising account through the “ Blocking controls ” but in the “ Hosting on YouTube ” tab, in the same way as we indicated in the previous section.
Requirements for Google AdSense
Below are the requirements for Google AdSense that must be taken into account before you go ahead and apply.
- No traffic requirement
- Your contents must be unique.
- Avoid using copyright images.
- Your blog or website must have been crawled and is visible on search engines.
- The required age of a blog to qualify for AdSense is not mentioned. However, we recommend three to four weeks of consistent writing. (NigerianWiki got approved in less than two weeks when it was created)
- Your blog must contain at least 20 unique contents, contrary to claims in certain quarters.
Note that the Google AdSense team has never gone public with what they look out for. But based on approval patterns over time, including that of this very blog, we noticed that you can apply for Google AdSense with a week-old or two weeks-old blog and get approved. The so-called product experts in the Google AdSense community hang on unconfirmed, outdated or widely circulated tales of what AdSense is and what it is not.
I used to be a regular contributor and tried to make young Publishers understand in the AdSense community forum that they should, as much as possible, disregard the six months or three months claim by the so calledd ‘experts’. Note that Google AdSense does not take exception to websites. If your contents are good, you’d be accepted in less than two hours of applying for AdSense! Not to worry, we will detail this in another post.
Now you know what AdSense is, how it works, what its pros and cons are and how to turn your digital projects into benefits, through the advertising of the famous search engine.
As you have already seen, the configuration and start-up of the system is relatively easy, but generating income through this system is not so much, since you should have knowledge of the different areas of Digital Marketing, especially SEO Positioning and writing of Web content
Even so, with high-quality content and a good strategy, it’s only a matter of time.