Approved Distance Learning Centres in Nigeria
The Nigerian National Policy on Education has over the years recognized the place of open and distance learning in achieving life long education and affirms that life long education shall be the basis of the nation’s education policy.
It went further to state that at any stage of the educational process after junior secondary education, an individual shall be able to choose between continuing full-time studies, combining work with study, or embarking on full-time employment without excluding the prospect of resuming studies later.
According to the policy document, the goals of open and distance education are to:
- Provide access to quality education and equity in educational opportunities for those who otherwise would have been denied.
- Meet special needs of employers by mounting special certificate courses for their employees at their work place.
- Encourage internationalization especially of tertiary education curricula.
Ameliorate the effect of internal and external brain drain in tertiary institutions by utilizing experts as teachers regardless of their locations or places of work. (NPE, 2004)
What is Distance Learning?
Distance learning is a way of learning remotely without being in regular face-to-face contact with a lecturer in the classroom. Certain tertiary institutions in Nigeria allow for distance learning.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Distance Learning
The main advantage of distance learning is that it allows you to fit your learning around your work and home life.
- It allows you set your own pace of study.
- It is your decision as to when and where you study.
- It doesn’t matter where you live – you can gain a degree from anywhere in the world.
- As with a full-time degree, students may find that they gain useful, transferable skills, such as planning and research.
- A distance learning course often costs less than a full-time degree.
The downside is that you will not enjoy the conviviality of being on a campus and rubbing shoulders with fellow students on a daily basis.
- Loneliness and feelings of isolation should be avoided however by frequent online contact with tutors and taking part in virtual forums, virtual help groups and discussion rooms.
- Distance learning providers usually offer dedicated support to their online or distance learning students.
List of Approved Distance Learning Centres in Nigeria
There are eleven (11) approved distance learning centres in Nigeria.
The list of approved Distance Learning Centers are as follows:
|1||University of Ibadan, Ibadan||Distance Learning Centre|
|2||Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife||Centre for Distance Learning|
|3||University of Lagos, Akoka||Distance Learning Institute|
|4||University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri||Centre for Distance Learning|
|5||Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola||Centre for Distance Learning|
|6||University of Abuja, Abuja||Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education|
|7||Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso||LAUTECH Distance Learning Centre|
|8||Ahmadu Bello University Zaria||Distance Learning Centre ABU, Zaria|
|9||Lagos State University||Lagos State University Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute|
|10||Joseph Ayo Babalola University University||JABU Center for Distance Learning|
|11||University of Nigeria Nsukka||UNN Center for Distance and e-Learning|