John Okafor (Mr. Ibu) Biography & Net Worth
John Okafor is more commonly known as Mr. Ibu after an extremely popular role he played, though he had already adopted the name from his grandfather whom he says was his mentor and inspiration for doing comedy.
John Okafor is undoubtedly one of the funniest men in Nigeria although his life hasn’t just been a barrel of laughs. He mostly plays an imbecilic character who, at an older age, still live with parents. Mr. Ibu is just one hilarious individual his lovers can’t help but love.
John Okafor (Mr. Ibu) Biography
John Okafor (born 17 October 1961) popularly known as Mr. Ibu is a veteran Nigerian actor and comedian from Umunekwu Village in Eziokwe, Nkanu West Local Government Area of Enugu State, South East, Nigeria. Mr. Ibu is considered to be one of Nigeria’s most talented comic characters. His humorous acting is often characterized by stupidity, hilarious imbecility and a sharp disconnection from reality.
Mr. Ibu had his primary school education in the village and later went to Delta State for his secondary school education. He then went to the Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Enugu, where he studied Mass Communication.
Mr. Ibu’s childhood was an uphill battle after the death of his father which by his own words left him and his family tenants in their own village when a storm destroyed their home.
He is from an incredibly poor background. Mr. Ibu once worked as a firewood seller, a hairdresser, and a meat butcher to feed his family. His acting career began on the 3rd of December 1978 when he joined the Nigerian movie industry (Nollywood) and started first as Continuity because movie directors and producers then had not recognized his talent in acting. However, few years later John Okafor started appearing in movies and television soap opera.
He came into limelight in 2004 after featuring in the blockbuster movie “Mr. Ibu” which gave him the popular nickname ‘Mr. Ibu‘. The movie “Mr. Ibu” which he acted alongside Osita Iheme (Pawpaw). The movie made him win an award as the ‘Best Comic Actor in Nigeria’ at the Africa Movie Academy Awards.
John Okafor (Mr. Ibu) Wife, Family
As mentioned earlier, Mr. Ibu has not had the easiest of family lives. In the early days of his life, six members of his family were killed with poison. Mr. Ibu had a divorce and then got married to his current wife, Stella Marris, in 2015. He and Stella Maris have three children but he, unfortunately, lost his first son Emmanuel Okafor in the saddest of circumstances.
John Okafor (Mr Ibu) Net Worth
John Okafor, popularly known as Mr Ibu is a Nollywood comic actor, movie producer and comedian with an estimated net worth of N300 million.
In 2014, Mr Ibu signed an endorsement deal with MerryBet worth millions of naira, after which he signed another endorsement deal with GOTV worth millions of naira.
Mr Ibu Strange Facts
1. His debut movie was titled Rolling Stone, which earned him a mere N5,000 which is a far cry from the six-figure sums he rakes in today with his movies.
2. His father and five other members of his family were killed in the same year, 1976, poisoned by someone who was revealed by the actor’s father posthumously. This same tragedy seemed to have followed him later in life.
3. His ex-wife kidnapped his wife and son according to John Okafor and released them after 10 days once the actor paid the ransom. Unfortunately, his son died a year later in circumstances that were less than straightforward and it later discovered that he was poisoned.
4. Mr. Ibu went to school during the Biafran war. In fact, the announcement of the war on the 15th of January 1966 came only a week after he started school. He, however, saw it as fun; the running to the bush, eating lizards, crocodile, and bush rats and the camaraderie that it presented.
5. The seasoned actor surprisingly does not know how to cook. During the Biafra era, one of his brothers would cook the lizards that they frequently ate and of course now he does not really need to learn that particular skill.
6. Other skills that he does have however include hairdressing and styling. This was one of the odd jobs that he did to get by in his youth and he apparently got so good at it that his customers became so reliant on him that they would wait if they did not find him present at the salon. He even owned a hotel called Ecowas, which he ran before his initial movies became best sellers.
7. John Okafor has mentored many upcoming actors in the industry and has been responsible for the success of some of the big names in Nollywood today. He mentored Jim Iyke who came up to him on the scene of Vuga and showed interest in the industry. He walked him through and put him in eleven scenes of the production and today, Jim Iyke is a household name. Georgina Onuoha was also discovered on the set of Woman, a movie he was working on and she still pays homage to him.
8. After his extensive stint in the film industry, he has not only earned experience but wealth as well. He appears on the list of the 10 wealthiest actors in the Nollywood film industry. His attitude and his interpretation of roles have created a massive demand for the actor such that he has gone beyond the borders to work in international scenes like the Ibu Runs Mad in America which is a Hollywood and Nollywood joint project.
9. The funny actor is also a singer and his CD’s are on the market. They are titled: This Girl 1 & 2. He likes playing draughts with his friends and watching football although this almost got him into trouble as a game he had gone to watch had to be stopped when the crowd, as well as the referee, left the game to run after him and he had to take to his heels to avoid being trampled by the fans.
10. The comical antics of the humorous actor have also gone from the movie scenes into some of the music videos he has featured in.