Ngozi Ezeonu Biography
Actress Ngozi Ezeonu is one of the veteran ‘big mama’ actresses who are still relevant and influential in the Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood. She is regarded by many as the everyday young woman, who is also a role model to up and coming actresses.
Her acting role in the movie, Adesuwa earned her a ‘Best Supporting Actress’ nomination at the 8th Africa Movie Academy Awards in 2012 and she continues to be active in Nollywood to date.
Ngozi Ezeonu Biography
Ngozi Ezeonu was born on May 23, 1965, to Mr. and Mrs. D.O. Ikpelue. She is an indigene of Ogbunike in Anambra State, Nigeria. She was a journalist at first. She obtained a Diploma Degree in Journalism and worked as a Journalist. Her first paying job was as a hair-stylist before she did the diploma course in Journalism.
Ngozi Ezeonu only practiced journalism for a short while, before joining Nollywood in 1993. That year she was introduced into Nollywood by Zeb Ejiro, who offered her a role in her debut movie Nneka the Pretty Serpent, where she played a lead supporting role. Ngozi played an outstanding role in the movie which later became a hit. This landed her yet another role in another hit movie Glamour Girls, alongside Liz Benson and Gloria Anozie. Since her Glamour Girls debut which shot her into the limelight, she has featured in over 150 movies.
Ngozi Ezeonu has featured in many blockbuster movies including; Dry My Tears, Women of Faith, Shattered Mirror, Jay Boy Obodo Oyibo’, ‘Suicide King’, Ego Mbute, In The Beginning, A Private Storm, About to Wed, Chimobi, Mother of Faith, Love of a Daughter, Child of Pain, Royal Adventure, to mention just a select few.
In 2012, she starred in Adesuwa, a role that earned her a ‘Best Supporting Actress’ nomination at the 8th Africa Movie Academy Award.
The movies she featured in the early and late 1990s include:
- Glamour Girls
- Shattered Mirror
- Nneka, The Pretty Serpent
- Tears of a Prince
- Cry of a Virgin
- Abuja top Ladies
- Family Secret
Ngozi Ezeonu has six other siblings, five of who are males. She is married and blessed with four children. The actress has been married for decades to her husband, Edwin. Unlike the younger celebrities who share photos of their families – husbands and children, Ezeonu is not much a social media addict like most of us.
Though traces of her personal selfie pictures and those of her children have been spotted on media, since her children are grown, she enjoys the freedom of pursuing her career and personal interests.
Ngozi Ezeonu Fun Facts
- The veteran actress was a trained journalist, practicing Journalism at Radio Lagos before making her acting debut.
- She was first introduced to Nollywood by Zeb Ejiro, who offered her a role in her debut movie “Nneka the Pretty Serpent.”
- Being a woman of exemplary character, Ngozi Ezeonu is very choosy when it comes to scripts. She once said in an interview that a lot of young ones look up to her and that she wouldn’t want to do anything that would disappoint them.
- During an interview, Ngozi Ezeonu disclosed that she does not fancy playing nude in a movie, romantic roles or play roles where they mishandle children. Ngozi Ezeonu to date is known as a disciplined and reserved woman, as well as a mother figure in the Nigerian movie industry.
- In 2013 she shocked the entire public with her tremendous weight loss. The actress; who was known for her robust nature diminished drastically, having lost over 50 percent of her body weight, leaving her fans as well as the entire public pretty bothered about her health. This led to several media reports claiming the actress was sick. But amid the insinuations, Ngozi Ezeonu came out to debunk the rumors of her being sick. She had stated categorically on different platforms that she wasn’t sick. She had explained it was her choice to lose weight, as she had been battling with it for years. However, the veteran actress put an end to the aggressive weight loss journey, when she started experiencing chronic Anorexia (a lack or loss of appetite for food).