Nigerian Army Ranks & Salary Structure
The Nigerian Army Ranks & Salary Structure – If you are planning on having a career as a soldier within the Nigerian Army, then this post is for you. We already mentioned that the Nigerian Army is one of the three major branches of Nigeria’s military, with the other two being the Navy and the Air Force. You might also want to read about the list of Nigerian Army barracks and their locations in Nigeria.
In this post, we talk about the Nigerian Army Ranks & Salary Structure. If there are other things you would like to know about the Nigerian Army salary structure in Nigeria, be sure we will deliver them as much as possible.
The Nigerian Army is the largest component of the Nigerian Military Forces with 52 army barracks scattered across Nigeria. It was reported that over 100,000 soldiers of different ranks make up the Nigerian Army. The Nigerian Army is touted to be the best and one of the most equipped armed forces in the whole of Africa.
Ranks in the Nigerian Army
There are two distinct ranks within the Nigerian Army. They are:
- Commissioned Officers
- Non-Commissioned Officers
The commissioned officers within the Nigerian Army are officers who earn a commission. There are 11 ranks of commissioned officers within the Nigerian Army. Below is a list of the ranks of commissioned officers within the Nigerian Army, starting from the least:
- Field Marshal: The highest rank in the military. However, there is no written evidence that there were field marshals in the history of Nigeria. It has a five-star rank.
- General: The highest rank that was in fact achieved by a Nigerian. A four-star rank in Nigeria and ranked as nine by NATO.
- Lieutenant General: The high commissioned officer. A three-star rank in Nigeria and indicated as eight by NATO.
- Major General: The medium commissioned officer. In Nigeria, it is ranked with two stars while NATO indicates it by seven.
- Brigadier General: A one-star rank in Nigeria. NATO indicates the rank by number six.
- Colonel: The lower lever commissioned officer by the highest field officer. NATO gives it a five.
- Lieutenant Colonel: The deputy to Colonel. He is the field officer of the middle level with rank four from NATO.
- Major. The lower category of the field officer. NATO indicates it by three.
- Captain. The highest rank in the tactical troops. It is indicated by NATO as two.
- First Lieutenant. He is the deputy of the Captain. The immediate superior rank. NATO states it by one.
- Second Lieutenant: He is subordinate to the First Lieutenant but has the same NATO ranking.
Non-commissioned officers within the Nigeria who are yet to earn a commission; that is, officers who have not yet been handed a formal letter that they have been commissioned. There are eight ranks of non-commissioned officers in the Nigerian Army.
Below is a list of non-commissioned officers within the Nigerian Army, from the highest to the least.
- Master Warrant Officer
- Warrant Officer
- Staff Sergeant
- Lance Corporal
Nigerian Army Salary Structure
The Nigerian Army salary depends on the rank of the officer involved. If an officer is well placed or ranked, his salary will definitely be on the high side. So we cannot claim that all Nigeria Army personnel receive the same salary. The information is wrong.
The salaries of commissioned officers in the Nigerian Army are:
- General – N1.5 million
- Lieutenant General – N1 million
- Major General – N950,000
- Brigadier General- N750,000
- Colonel – N550,000
- Lieutenant Colonel – N350,000
- Major – N300,000
- Captain – N220,000
- Lieutenant – N180,000
- Second Lieutenant – N120,000
The salaries of non-commissioned officers in the Nigerian Army are:
- Master Warrant Officer – N90,000
- Warrant Officer – N80,000
- Staff Sergeant – N68,000
- Sergeant – N63,000
- Corporal – N58,000
- Lance Corporal earns about N54,000-55,000
- Private Soldier earns about N48,000-49,000
That is all about the Nigerian Army Salary structure. If you would love to know more, kindly leave a message and also share the post to help others. Meanwhile, you might also want to see the EFCC Ranks & Salary Structure.