How to Open & Verify PayPal Account in Nigeria
PayPal is a globally accepted means of payment anywhere in the world and we shall be looking at how to open a PayPal account in Nigeria. Many people know what a PayPal account is and have used it severally to make payments and receive payments as well. But for the purpose of the people that don’t have much knowledge of it, I will be describing what a PayPal account is, and later I will explain how you can open and verify it in Nigeria.
If you already know what PayPal is all about but just want to know who to open and verify it, scroll down to the subheadings describing the process below.
What is PayPal Account?
A PayPal account is an online payment platform owned by PayPal Holding Inc. PayPal is one of the widely used online payment processors, supporting payment in almost all countries. Before 2014, Nigeria was among the countries in which the usage of PayPal isn’t available, but now it is available for usage, however with some restrictions.
What Is PayPal Used For?
With a PayPal account, you can pay for products and services online, without the merchant seeing your local bank account detail. Besides PayPal is a comfortable way to pay on Amazon, Godaddy, Gearbest, Aliexpress, eBay and other international e-commerce websites.
Types of PayPal Accounts
There are two types of PayPal accounts; namely Personal PayPal and Business PayPal. The Business PayPal account is also referred to as a Premier account.
Personal PayPal Account
The Personal PayPal account, as the name implies, is a PayPal account for individuals.
Uses of Personal PayPal Account
Personal PayPal accounts are used primarily for making purchases, buying goods and services and sending monies to family and friends. You can also use personal PayPal accounts to receive money for goods and services.
***Note: Some of these features are not applicable in certain countries.
Business PayPal Account
The PayPal business account is more robust and has tons of features compare to the personal account type. PayPal recommends business accounts for people and organizations that primarily use PayPal to sell goods or services or accept donations, even if your business is not incorporated.
Features of PayPal Business Account
With a business account, you can do things like:
- Use a company or business name as the name on your PayPal account.
- Allow up to 200 employees access to some of the features of your PayPal account.
- Sign up for PayPal products that meet your business needs.
Differences between Personal & Business PayPal Accounts
If you primarily need to make purchases and send money to family and friends, a personal account is probably right for you. With a personal account you can do things like:
- Send and request money from friends and family.
- Buy goods and services.
- You can also use a personal account to receive money for the sale of goods and services, but if you plan to use your PayPal account primarily to sell things, you should consider a business account. You can upgrade a personal account to a business account should circumstances change.
You can create item buttons with a Personal account however, there are limitations:
- You cannot save the button code to the PayPal servers or your account. (No “My Saved Buttons” option)
- You cannot create an email URL text link.
- You cannot create shipping methods or tax tables.
- You cannot track inventory or profit and loss.
- You cannot customize the checkout screens or display a logo and you don’t have the option of any advanced features.
- You cannot create an active recurring or subscription item button.
- Personal Accounts will display both your name and email address to buyers.
A Business account has all of those features and more.
With a Business Account, buyers will see your business name and business email address – they would only see your name if it was the same as the business name.
Now that you know what PayPal is and what it is used for, let’s walk you through the process of opening one.
How to Open PayPal Account in Nigeria
For the purpose of this post, I will be using my Android phone to open a verified PayPal account in Nigeria. The steps are the same for PC.
Follow the steps below to sign up for the PayPal account:
- Go to PayPal website on www.paypal.com
- On the landing page, click ‘Sign up for free‘
- On the next page, you’d be required to enter your details such as your name, email address and password. Your country is detected by default so you don’t need to choose this.
- Click ‘next‘ after filling in your details.
- The next stage should have your nationality (already set), address lines, city, postcode, state/capital, date of birth and phone number. Fill them appropriately. For Nigerians, you can find your postal codes for all states in Nigeria here.
- Once filled, check the tiny box to confirm you agree and consent to PayPal’s User Agreement and Privacy Statement, and that you are of legal age.
- Click ‘agree’ and ‘create’ to create your PayPal account.
How to Verify Nigeria PayPal Account
To verify your Nigeria PayPal account:
- Click ‘Get Started‘ under ‘Shop with PayPal‘ after creating your account as seen in the above picture.
- Enter your MasterCard or Visa Card on the next page.
- Enter your ‘CSC’ (Your CSC is the 3-digit security code at the back of your debit or credit card).
- Click on ‘Link Card’ when you are done.
- Note that $1.95 will be deducted from the account of the card you linked to your PayPal account. So be sure you have more or up to that in your account before linking your card, else it won’t work. The money will also be refunded within hours of your set up. The essence of the deduction is to verify your ownership of the card. This charge also creates a unique 4-digit code which you will use in the confirmation of the card.
- After receiving the 4-digit code from your bank, login to your PayPal account, tap confirm credit card, enter the code and tap continue. The code is the 4-digit number after PP* in the message from your bank.
- Congratulations! You have successfully verified your PayPal account!
How to Fund Nigeria PayPal Account
Presently, there is no way to fund Nigeria PayPal Account as a result of the restrictions still placed on Nigeria by PayPal. Nevertheless, you can use your Nigeria PayPal Account to make payments online. Instead of funding your PayPal account and then make payment using the fund in the account, payment with Nigeria PayPal account is deducted directly from the fund in the Master or Visa card you linked to your PayPal.
So you don’t fund the PayPal account. Your money will be automatically be deducted from your local bank account as you shop online through your PayPal account.
Other than the funding restriction, Nigeria PayPal accounts cannot receive PayPal funds. While we are hopeful this will change someday, you can still go ahead and shop with your newly created PayPal account
If you find this article helpful or you have further questions, kindly leave a comment below and also pass this on to others by sharing this article.